Chautauqua Trail Annual Meeting & Chautauqua Experience
"Chautauqua" is an educational and cultural movement that built communities and supported individuals in the development of their full potential spiritually, intellectually, culturally and physically. The concept began in the late 19th century and spread throughout rural North America as hundreds of Chautauqua communities were established. However, by the mid-1920s, the movement began to recede due to the rise of the automobile, radio and access to education. Only a handful of these communities survived the decline.
Today, there are several Chautauqua communities across North America, and the demand for authentic, cultural experiences and continued learning opportunities is on the rise. The Chautauqua Trail, a group of organizations and individuals committed to promoting the Chautauqua concept, is one of the driving forces behind this renaissance.
Wawasee Hosts Virtual Chautauqua Trail Annual Meeting | October 7 & 8, 2021
The Chautauqua Trail Annual Meeting will be held virtually on October 7 and 8, 2021. Email Deb Lebarron at Chautauqua Institution by October 1 to register for the meeting. Participants will receive a Zoom link via email.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 7 | 10 am – noon EDST
A representation from each Chautauqua will present on their property. PowerPoint presentations are welcome.
- What have been/are your three most successful programs, and why?
- What programs have flopped, and why?
- What new programs are you trying?
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 7 | 2 – 4 pm
Announcements, additions, etc.
- How are you attracting a younger crowd?
- Is your primary audience residents, or visitors? A variation of this would be, “Is your audience primarily members/season long people, or vacationers for a week or two?
- What are the core values you provide your members/customers?
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8 | 10 am – noon
Announcements, additions, etc.
- Is there value in meeting more than once a year?
- Chautauqua Trail Rack Card: possible uses, how your chautauqua can get theirs, etc.
- Nominations and election of Chautauqua Trail Officers.
- Announcement of the 2022 Chautauqua Trail meeting.
Please note that all agenda items could be done in just one day, but your officers want to allow for unexpected issues. All attendees will have an opportunity to speak on every topic and to discuss further an issue during our scheduled meeting times. However, that does not mean that every attendee must speak on all topics.
Join the Movement & Register for the Annual Meeting
Individuals and organizations can join the Chautauqua Trail and attend the Chautauqua Trail Annual Meeting. Your annual membership to the Chautauqua Network helps ensure the survival of one of the greatest movements in North American cultural history. The full organization membership is $100 and individual membership is $10. Join the Chautauqua Trail.
Register for the Chautauqua Network Annual Meeting today! This event is a wonderful opportunity to meet fellow Chautauquans from across the U.S. and Canada.
Annual Meeting Schedule
- 2022 Wawasee, Indiana
- 2023 Lakeside Chautauqua
- 2024 Chautauqua, New York
- 2025 Bay View, Michigan
- 2026 Ocean Park, Maine
- 2027 Mt. Gretna, Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania Chautauqua)
- 2028 TBD
- 2029 TBD
- 2030 Chautauqua, New York
- 2031 Ocean Park, Maine (150th Anniversary)
- 2074 Chautauqua, New York (200th Anniversary)
- 2076 Lakeside, Ohio (200th Anniversary)